The Science of Good Packaging Design
What makes a well designed package? Packaging design is by no means an easy task, and while many people believe a “good looking package” is purely subjective, there is actual science to back up what separates a great looking package from one that may fail to get the same response from consumers. There are several factors to consider when designing custom packaging for your products, which we will look at today:
How Packaging Design Can Influence Consumers
Color theory is one of the most-studied design elements that evokes a significant emotional response for consumers. Almost 85% of consumers cite color as the main reason they buy a product, and 80% of people believe color increases brand recognition. The right color scheme for your packaging can help convey the message you want to consumers:
- Red signals energy, excitement, and passion
- Orange is associated with adventure, extroversion, and optimism
- Yellow expresses fun, energy, and happiness
- Green is seen as healthy, natural/organic, and eco-friendly
- Blue indicates strength, harmony, and dependability
- Purple creates a sense of luxury, indulgence, and exclusivity
- Pink is often associated with beauty, femininity, or sweetness
- White conveys simplicity, elegance, and purity
- Black shows sophistication, strength, and authority
Shape (or form) also plays a vital role in packaging design. Not only do packages need to protect your products, but studies have shown that the shape of your packaging can have a noticeable impact on the way your products are perceived by consumers. Packaging shape is very closely tied to branding and identity, and should reflect the style, personality, or theme of your brand. Some popular packaging shapes that can help your products stand out include:
Window boxes are a popular option for brands that want to proudly display their products without sacrificing protection.
Tray and Sleeve Boxes
Tray and sleeve boxes are a simple packaging solution that can give an easy-to-open yet refined appearance.
Gable boxes are an excellent choice for giving customers a package designed for protection, portability, and unique styling.
Magnetic Closure Boxes
Magnetic closure boxes are a high-end packaging option that can add an air of luxury and sophistication to your products.
Cylinder boxes offer great protection due to their shape, are resistant to tipping, and are also easy to stack during shipping, storage, or on retail shelves.
3. Typography and Messaging
Typography is an incredibly important aspect of packaging design, because your typography has to communicate information to the customer, but also make the words attractive on your packaging. Choosing the right font, scale, and layout are all necessary to convey the right messages about your brand and products.
Typography serves several purposes in packaging design, including:
- Grabbing Customers’ Attention
- Helping to Differentiate Your Brand
- Improving Your Package’s Appearance
- Affecting Customer Preference
- Positioning Your Brand
Material usage is another important choice to make when designing good packaging. As we have become more conscious of our impact on the environment, more and more consumers are basing their purchasing decisions on the types of materials businesses use in their packaging. A 2018 study by the Paper and Packaging Board and IPSOS shows that:
- 67% of consumers say that they are influenced by packaging material usage when choosing products to buy
- 68% of consumers are more likely to buy something in a paper or cardboard package over a plastic package, when given the choice
- 71% of consumers say they are more likely to buy from brands that use paper or cardboard packaging over brands that use other materials
- 63% of consumers are more likely to buy products that use paper or cardboard packaging because it is reusable
- 63% of consumers say that paper and cardboard packaging makes a product feel more high quality
Are You Looking for Professional Packaging Design Services for Your Products?
Preferred Packaging is Here to Help
Since 1985, we have been the preferred packaging, logistics, and automation solution for hundreds of businesses along the Front Range.
We specialize in custom package development and can help you optimize your packaging to maximize product protection, minimize material and shipping costs, and keep customers happy. We also offer a wide selection of high-quality generic packaging products and materials to suit all of your packaging and business needs.
Some other ways Preferred Packaging can help your business include:
- Our logistics, warehouse, and distribution services, which can help you streamline your logistics process and better support order fulfillment.
- Our package kitting and assembly services, which can take a load off your employees and help your business focus on other tasks.
- Our packaging equipment automation and installation services, which can further increase your efficiency and help your business transition to a more hands-off packaging process.
To see what Preferred Packaging Products can do for your business, give us a call at (303) 444-4774 or get in touch with us online to get started.